Muskogee Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
All US states, including Oklahoma impose severe criminal penalties and harsh sanctions on assisted living centers, their administrators, employees, and others responsible for nursing home abuse. If you or a loved one has suffered harm, you can file a complaint with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, which will investigate and aggressively pursue offenders. However, criminal punishment does nothing to compensate for the losses you sustain, physically, emotionally, and financially.
You may get some sense of relief knowing that legal remedies are available for victims of nursing home abuse, and our team at Levinson Law, P.C. can help. We have extensive knowledge in the relevant laws, backed by decades of combined experience assisting victims who experience mistreatment at a facility. Please contact our office to schedule a no-cost case evaluation with a Muskogee nursing home abuse lawyer who can advise you on your options.
Spot the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Mistreatment at assisted living centers comes in many forms, some of which aren’t open and obvious. Another challenge in identifying the presence of abuse is that the resident may be unable to express complaints due to diminished capacity or duress by a nursing home employee. As such, family members must step up to recognize the common signs of nursing home abuse, including:
- Physical injuries, such as contusions, scrapes, cuts, and marks indicating use of physical restraints;
- Emotional abuse, in which the resident may appear withdrawn, experience mood swings, or express fear in the presence of certain caretakers;
- Sexual assault, often manifesting as sexually transmitted disease or injuries to the genitals;
- Financial abuse, indicated by changes to accounts, real estate ownership, vehicles, and estate planning documents; and,
- Neglect, which involves carelessness instead of intentional mistreatment. However, nursing home neglect can be just as harmful for the resident.
Seek Compensation for Nursing Home Abuse Losses
Every case is different, but nursing home abuse is typically classified as a personal injury claim. An assisted living center can be accountable for the intentional acts of its employees under the theory of negligent hiring, failure to train, and understaffing. Our attorneys at Levinson Law, P.C. will conduct an investigation to determine the appropriate legal strategy for pursuing the responsible parties. We’ll then attempt to negotiate a settlement of your claim with the nursing home. If the facility won’t pay a fair amount, our team will take the battle to court to recover such compensation as:
- Medical expenses for treating nursing home abuse injuries;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and,
- Punitive damages, with a goal to punish the assisted living center for outrageous misconduct.
Discuss Your Rights and Remedies with a Muskogee Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
This general information on nursing home abuse may be helpful, but there’s much more to the process than you may expect. Instead of putting your rights at risk, rely on our attorneys at Levinson Law, P.C. to get the compensation you deserve under Oklahoma law. Please contact our firm to set up a free consultation today, so we can provide more detail on the relevant legal concepts.