Tulsa Insurance Bad Faith Lawyer
Dedicated Litigators Helping Policyholders Get Insurance Coverage Throughout Northeastern Oklahoma
If you have suffered from a sudden injury or illness, or you are fighting a long battle with a disease, the last thing you want to deal with is insurance. You want to focus on your recovery and on ensuring that other aspects of your life do not fall by the wayside while you deal with your malady. Your health insurance policy appears to cover the treatment that you need. Yet, the insurance company has either denied your claim or has simply stopped communicating at all. What can you do?
Insurance providers are always watching out for their bottom line. They are looking for any reason to underpay or deny coverage in order to save themselves money. Insurers, however, owe contractual and legal duties to their policyholders. If your insurance provider is engaged in bad faith conduct and you are failing to get coverage for the medical care that you need, the Tulsa insurance bad faith lawyers at Levinson Law, P.C., are prepared to help. We will investigate your claims, gather evidence, communicate with your insurance company on your behalf, and fight for your right for the coverage to which you are entitled.
Investigating and Fighting Against All Types of Bad Faith Insurance Conduct
There are a few different ways that Oklahoma insurance companies can behave in bad faith. All of their tactics are aimed at saving themselves money by avoiding payment on your claim, in part or in full. They may intentionally misconstrue their own policy or a form of treatment in order to deny coverage, or engage in stalling tactics to force a policyholder into accepting a lowball settlement to get paid more quickly. They may even delay investigation or payment on a claim for so long that a claimant simply gives up.
While some of their conduct might be the result of simple negligence, it is not your responsibility to pay because of their failures. When they are acting in bad faith deliberately, then you have the right to significant recovery. The Tulsa insurance bad faith lawyers at Levinson Law, P.C., are ready to help you get the recovery you deserve, despite the bad faith conduct committed by your insurance provider.
Our Tulsa insurance bad faith legal team is prepared to fight against a range of insurance company misconduct, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Failing to investigate a claim properly
- Delaying an investigation, a final decision, or an appeal
- Wrongfully denying a claim based on an incorrect view of the policy, the treatment, or the law
- Demanding onerous and unreasonable evidence from a policyholder to support a claim
- Insurance agent negligence at the time a policy is entered into, or upon receiving a claim
- Raising premiums unreasonably after a claim is filed
- Denying a claim without properly explaining the justification
- Underpaying a claim or offering an unreasonably low settlement without justification
- Delay or stalling tactics, such as intentionally slow communications
- Unjustifiably stalling or delaying payments
- Inappropriately canceling or failing to renew a policy
Overcoming Wrongful Coverage Denials
If you have had a claim wrongfully denied or underpaid, you have the right to challenge that decision. The insurance bad faith attorneys at Levinson Law, P.C., can help you file an appeal within the insurance company, as well as take other steps to ensure the strength of your claim.
If your insurance company persists in wrongfully denying your claim, you might have additional options to seek coverage, including filing a complaint with state officials and filing a lawsuit for coverage and other damages. The Tulsa insurance bad faith legal team at Levinson Law, P.C., will evaluate your claims and review your options with you, helping you pursue the avenue most likely to get you full coverage for the treatment you need.
Tulsa Insurance Bad Faith FAQs
Your health insurance provider owes you, the policyholder, a duty of good faith and fair dealing. If your insurer engages in bad faith behavior, such as wrongfully denying a claim, underpaying a claim, or engaging in delay tactics meant to force you into accepting a lowball settlement, you have the right to fight back. Below are answers to a few of the more common questions clients ask regarding insurance bad faith from the Tulsa insurance bad faith attorneys at Levinson Law, P.C.
How Do Insurance Companies Act in Bad Faith?
Insurance bad faith can come in a variety of forms, including the following:
- Denying a claim without adequate reason
- Misrepresenting a policy to deny a claim
- Underpaying a claim without a reasonable basis
- Unjustifiable delay in conducting an investigation, communicating with an insured, or deciding on a claim
- Stalling payments to encourage a lesser settlement
- Requesting burdensome documentation without proper cause
- Failure to properly investigate a claim
- Jacking up premiums after a claim is filed
- Wrongfully canceling or failing to renew a policy
- Misrepresentation or other negligence by an insurance agent or claims adjuster
- Failing to explain grounds for a denial
What Can I Recover for an Insurance Bad Faith Claim?
If your insurance provider has denied your claim in bad faith or committed other forms of wrongdoing, you may have several kinds of recovery available. Should you be forced to file a lawsuit to recover, you may be able to claim damages including:
- Value of your claim, plus interest
- Cost of additional medical procedures due to delayed treatment
- Lost wages resulting from delayed treatment
- Mental pain and suffering
- Statutory penalties
- Coverage for economic losses and attorney’s fees caused by the denial and delays
- Punitive damages, if the conduct was malicious or extraordinarily reckless
What do I do if my Insurance Provider is Acting in Bad Faith?
If your insurance company denies you coverage in bad faith, engages in stalling or delay tactics, or otherwise acts in bad faith, there are a few steps you should take to ensure you get the care you deserve. Steps to consider include the following:
- Review your policy to determine if the treatment should be covered
- File an appeal of the denial. You have the right to appeal a denial internally within the insurance provider and have your claim heard higher up the chain of command.
- Keep all documentation, including communications with your insurance provider
- Get a lawyer to help you file an appeal or otherwise contest your denial
- Write a demand letter informing the insurer that you plan to fight the denial further
- File a complaint regarding the insurance company with your state insurance commissioner
- File a lawsuit challenging the denial, preferably with the help of an insurance bad faith lawyer
What is the Time Limit for Contesting Denial of a Claim?
If you plan to contest a denial of coverage for your health insurance claims, you must file an internal appeal within six months of your claim being denied. Internal appeals can take anywhere from 30 to 60 days, depending on whether you have already received the treatment or are seeking coverage for a planned procedure. For more urgent cases, you may be able to request expedited review.
If you’ve been subjected to bad faith behavior by a health insurance provider in Tulsa or throughout Northeastern Oklahoma, call Levinson Law, P.C., today to set up a free, no-obligation consultation. Our Tulsa bad faith insurance lawyers are ready to hear your case and help you get the coverage you are owed for your injuries or illness.
Help From a Knowledgeable and Passionate Tulsa Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer
Your health insurance provider has a responsibility to pay out coverage on your legitimate claims. If your insurance company refuses to pay you the amounts that they rightfully owe, or if they are engaged in any stalling or delay tactics designed to bully you into accepting a settlement less than what your claim is worth, the Tulsa bad faith insurance lawyers at Levinson Law, P.C., are here to help.
We are prepared to investigate the circumstances of your injury, build your case, and fight for your right to compensation. We will handle filing your claim, communicating with insurance companies, appealing denials, and pursuing an action in court where necessary. If you have been subjected to bad faith insurance tactics in Tulsa or throughout Northeastern Oklahoma, call Levinson Law, P.C., today to set up a free, no-obligation consultation. The seasoned and compassionate Tulsa bad faith insurance lawyers at Levinson Law, P.C., have the decades of experience and know-how that your bad faith insurance claim – no matter how complex – deserves.